Understanding the Fruit of the Spirit


"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law."Galatians 5:22–23


Welcome to Day 1 of our 10-day journey!


Before we begin exploring each of the nine characteristics listed in Galatians, I wanted to share a little of my own journey.

When I first came to faith, I genuinely wanted to become more loving, more patient, more kind, and more self-controlled. I thought that if I simply tried harder, prayed a little more, and was more disciplined, I would eventually become the person God wanted me to be.

But the harder I tried in my own strength, the more I noticed my failures.

I would lose my patience.

I would struggle to show kindness.

I would become anxious instead of peaceful.

I found myself asking, "Lord, why is this so hard?"

One day, my prayer changed.

Instead of praying, "Lord, help me do better," I prayed, "Lord, I cannot do this in my own capacity. Change my heart. Produce these qualities in me through Your Spirit because I cannot manufacture them on my own."

That prayer changed everything.

I slowly began to understand that Paul didn't call them the "fruits of our effort." He called them the "fruit of the Spirit."

That means these qualities are not produced by striving harder—they are produced by abiding deeper.

Just as an apple tree doesn't strain to produce apples, it simply remains rooted and receives nourishment. Likewise, our role is to remain connected to him. As we spend time in His presence, surrender our hearts, pray, and allow the Holy Spirit to transform us, the fruit naturally begins to grow.

The focus isn't on trying to become more patient or more loving.

The focus is on becoming more like him.

When our hearts become more like His, the fruit follows.

Perhaps that's why Paul uses the word fruit instead of fruits. These aren't separate qualities we pick and choose from—they are the evidence of a life being transformed by the Holy Spirit.

Reflection Questions

I'd love for this to be a conversation, not just a devotional. Feel free to share your thoughts with the group.

  • When did you first truly understand what the Fruit of the Spirit means?
  • Have you ever tried to "produce" these qualities in your own strength? What happened?
  • Has there been a season where God changed your heart rather than simply changing your circumstances?
  • Which of the nine characteristics do you currently find the most challenging, and why?

Let's encourage one another by sharing our experiences. Often, God speaks through the testimonies of fellow believers.

Prayer

Father, thank You for reminding us that the Fruit of the Spirit is Your work in us, not our work for You. Forgive us for the times we have relied on our own strength instead of depending on Your Spirit. Create in us clean hearts that desire You above all else. As we begin this journey together, help us not simply to learn about these qualities but to become people who reflect you more each day. May Your Holy Spirit continue His transforming work within us so that our lives bear fruit that brings glory to You. Amen.

 

Coming Tomorrow...

Tomorrow we'll begin with the first and perhaps the greatest characteristic—Love.

But not the kind of love the world defines.

We'll explore the kind of love —sacrificial, unconditional, and transformational.

I can't wait to journey into God's Word with you tomorrow!

 

Comments

  1. I have been really drawn to the "fruit" of the Spirit here as of late. As you said, it's the fruit of the SPIRIT, not the fruit of my efforts.
    My husband and I have been in a season of difficult family members. For whatever reason we've been the blunt of everyone's anger/frustrations/knitpicking. God has not moved us from this season so I am slowly realizing His purpose in this tough season of feeling ostracized is to change our hearts.
    With that being said, I most struggle with the fruit that deals with difficult people - ALL 9! Look forward to continue reading your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Patience – The Five-Minute Test

Every Sunrise Preaches a Sermon