Joy Is Cultivated by Noticing Ordinary Graces
"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights..." — James 1:17 (NIV)
Have you ever noticed how quickly we stop seeing the
blessings we once prayed for?
The house that once felt like an answered prayer becomes
"too small."
The job we once thanked God for becomes "just
work."
The family dinner becomes routine.
Even the sunrise becomes ordinary because we've seen it a
thousand times.
I wonder if one of the greatest thieves of joy isn't
suffering.
Perhaps it's familiarity.
When something becomes familiar, we stop noticing it.
Lately, God has been gently teaching me to slow down and
notice what I call ordinary graces.
My morning cup of coffee.
The Book resting on my table.
The tall trees outside my balcony that remind me of God's
majesty.
The laughter of my children echoing through the house.
The quiet moment before the day begins.
None of these is an extraordinary miracle.
Yet each one is a gift.
James reminds us that every perfect gift comes from
our heavenly Father. Not just the life-changing blessings. Not just the prayers
answered in miraculous ways.
Every gift.
The ones we celebrate.
And the ones we've stopped noticing.
I think joy grows when we begin to recognize that our lives
are already surrounded by God's kindness.
Gratitude doesn't create those gifts.
It simply opens our eyes to see them.
The more we notice God's fingerprints in ordinary moments,
the more joy quietly takes root in our hearts.
Maybe joy isn't always found in receiving something new.
Maybe it's found in rediscovering what we've had all along.
- What
blessing have I become so familiar with that I've stopped thanking God for
it?
- Where
have I seen God's kindness in the ordinary moments of today?
- Am I
chasing bigger blessings while overlooking the gifts God has already
placed in my hands?
I'd love to hear what "ordinary grace" you're
noticing today. Let's encourage one another by celebrating God's everyday
gifts.
Prayer
Father, thank You for the countless gifts I often overlook.
Forgive me for becoming so familiar with Your blessings that I forget they are
gifts from Your loving hand. Open my eyes to see Your goodness in the ordinary
moments of my day. Teach me to cultivate a heart that notices, celebrates, and
gives thanks for even the smallest expressions of Your grace. May my joy grow
not because my circumstances become greater, but because my awareness of Your
presence becomes deeper.

Thank you for sharing this Megha. It’s such an encouragement to be reminded to not taken anything for granted, familiar or normal. They aren’t.
ReplyDeleteYes I agree. Every single day and moment that we get to spend on this earth is a blessing and gift from God
DeleteSo beautiful!!! My ordinary graces: my dogs, my home, my quiet time, my health, my time, etc. And my extra-ordinary graces: my family and friendsππ✝️π©·ππ
ReplyDeleteFor me this community that I cherish and enjoy so much
DeleteAmen this is indeed so beautiful a constant reminder that our God is perfect I feel I need to park and rest and reflect here for a little while …
ReplyDelete